Catenaa, Wednesday, August 27, 2025- A US stake in chipmaker Nvidia is “not on the table,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Wednesday, as the Trump administration looks for stakes in various industries.
“I don’t think Nvidia needs financial support, so that seems not on the table right now,” he said in an interview on Fox Business.
Bessent raised the possibility that the administration could take stakes in other industries.
“Could there be other industries where we’re reshaping, something like shipbuilding? Sure, there could be things like that,” Bessent said.
The Trump administration last week announced a near-10% stake in chipmaker Intel. It previously intervened to complete the purchase of US Steel by Japan’s Nippon Steel in June, taking what Trump called a “golden share” that gives Washington say over its operations.
Nvidia is poised to release its fiscal Q2 earnings report on Wednesday after the bell, with expectations of $1.01 earnings per share on $46.05 billion in sales. The stock fell by 0.3% on Wednesday morning; the stock is up by over 35% so far this year.
On Tuesday, US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick implied that the government is looking at the defense sector and other industries for potential stakes in companies after a 10% stake deal with Intel.
“Oh, there’s a mnstrous discussion about defense,” Lutnick said Tuesday on CNBC when pressed on whether the administration was considering similar arrangements with companies that benefit from government policies, including in defense.
Lutnick singled out Lockheed Martin, claiming the company makes much of its revenue because of the US government. “They are basically an arm of the US government,” he said.
